The Norwegian Knitting Industry Museum
Welcome to Bergen’s only national industrial heritage site!
Join us on a tour of the former textile mill Salhus Tricotagefabrik (1859–1989) and learn about the history and importance of the textile industry in Norway. Long and short underwear for men and women, undershirts, socks, athletic apparel, swimwear and other garments were made at the factory in Salhus.
Join one of our guides on a tour of the factory. Take in the smells that still linger in the factory after many years of production. We guide you through the production processes: from carding and spinning, to winding, knitting and sewing. What does a knitting machine sound and look like? We demonstrate machines used at the factory, which which we now use to knit socks and scarves that you can buy in the museum shop.
Guided tours every hour during opening hours (12.00, 13.00, 14,00 and 15.00). Watch a film about the history of Salhus, the factory and its workers (every 30 minutes), and see our changing exhibitions in the gallery. A visit to the museum takes 1,5-2 hours, so we advise our visitors to arrive early. Book a tour here.
On the last Sunday of the month we arrange a children's event, including a crafts workshop and a guided tour with the sheep Bændik, who is hiding somewhere in the factory. Perhaps the children will even try their hand at knitting? We also host regular knitting events as well as the annual Bergen Knitting Festival.
Shop and Café
Enjoy homemade cakes and sandwiches, and the view of Salhusfjorden, from our cosy café. There is also a children’s corner with toys and drawing supplies for the little ones. Relax and take in the view or look for a gift in our museum shop.
How to get here:
- By car: 20 minutes from Bergen city centre. Follow the road to Åsane and turn left at IKEA. Follow the signs towards Salhus from there. Address: Salhusvegen 201.
- By bus from the city centre:
Take bus no. 3 Støbotn, or 4 Flaktveit from Bryggen to Åsane terminal. Departures every 10 minutes (17 min. travel time).
Change bus at Åsane Terminal to no. 35 Salhus/Klauvaneset. Departures every hour: 11.40, 12.40, 13.30, 14.40, 15.40, etc. Get off the bus at Salhus kai (12 min. travel time).
Return: bus no. 35 Åsane Terminal (departs from the same bus stop) and change bus at Åsane Terminal (Platform A) to return to Bergen . For more information about the bus schedule, visit www.skyss.no
- Alternative 2: Take bus number 3 to the final stop, Støbotn, and walk 30 min. to the museum.
- Alternative 3: Taxi from Bergen / Åsane terminal (costs about 200 NOK from Åsane).
Important information about Bergen Strikkefestival (Bergen Knit Fest) 2020. The corona virus has changed everyday life for all of us, and we are working on a way of organising the festival and spread our love of knitting without increasing the risk of contagion.
On Sunday, May 24, we finally reopen the doors to the factory in Salhus after being closed since mid-March. At first the museum will only be open on Sundays, and later on Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays during the summer holidays. We have spacious indoor facilities and look forward to offering safe, interesting and reinvigorating museum experiences this summer.
Meir om The Museum Reopens on 24 May!
Sjå heile kalenderen
- The Museum Centre in Hordaland
- The Norwegian Knitting Industry Museum
- Salhusvegen 201
- N - 5107 Salhus
- Phone: +47 55 25 10 80 - 2
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Group bookings: email@example.com
- Branch Manager: Ann Kristin Ramstrøm
2020 opening hours:
- 22.06–16.08.: Thur–Fri, Sun 12.00–16.00
- We are also open for guided tour Tuesday and Wednesday at 13.00
- Book a tour at the museum
- tour, film and temporary exhibition: 90 NOK
- temporary exhibition: 70 NOK
- Children: Free
- Seniors/students: 70 NOK
- Bergen Card holders: Free